Welcome Longfellow Family.
At Longfellow all student arrival is on the black top in back of the school. All staff will be there to welcome you.
School Hours are 8:45am to 3:37pm. Doors open 8:45am.
The Theme for the month is "Safety In The Home."
Breakfast & Lunch envelopes are for the following week. Envelopes are due back the next school day.
Pick up time is 3:37 walkers can be picked up at this time.
Please check your child's folder daily for homework, meal envelopes and teacher communications.
Each month ensure your contact information is current.
In an effort to realize a rewarding school year for you and your children, I would like to review a few of the basic policies and procedures at Longfellow Elementary School.
Picking up and dropping off students during the school day:
- Please notify the teacher in writing when you are picking up your child early or if there is a change in transportation for them on any particular day.
- If a student arrives after 9:05 AM, he or she is late and must sign in at the main office.
- If you know your child will be later than 9:15 AM, please call the office so that they will not cancel your child’s lunch. Lunch cancellations begin promptly at 9:20 AM.
- Students are dismissed at 3:37 PM. Please meet your child on the appropriate playground if they are walkers. Students cannot wait in the office to be picked up.
Lunch drop off
Please label your child’s lunch with name and teacher.
Remind your child he or she has to report to the office to pickup their lunch.
As stated earlier, if you know your child will be arriving after 9:15 AM, please call the office so that their lunch will not be cancelled.
Absences/Lateness - 5 Late arrivals = 1 Unexcused Absence
Absences from school should be accompanied by a doctor’s note upon return. Any lateness due to a doctor’s appointment should also have a doctor’s note. Excessive absences and lateness effects your child’s learning and will result in possible letters from district’s investigator’s office.
If a student is sent to the principal due to misbehaving, a discipline report may go home in an envelope.
Please pay close attention to the policies mentioned below. Compliance with these policies will have a strong, positive impact on our “scholarly climate”. We practice our scholarly climate daily and it is the foundation for success at Longfellow School.
Objects brought to school:
- Walk quietly
- Stay seated
- Raise your hand
If detected, the student may be suspended out of school and not permitted back until they appear before the Board of Education and/or the school principal and psychologist/counselor. In addition, exclusion from extracurricular activities may be implemented.
- Toys, electronic games, CD players, cell phones, etc. are not permitted in school.
- Weapons or objects that resemble weapons are not permitted in school. That includes but not limited to :
- Knives (real or toy)
- Guns (real or toy)
- Caps, firecrackers, matches, etc.
- Threats of any type, physical contact, etc., to another student or staff member are punished by consequences in and/or out of school plus exclusion from extracurricular activities such as field trips, etc.
- If you think your child is being bullied, please contact us immediately.
- Our HIB score is 52 for Longfellow out of 78.
These policies and practicers are enacted to ensure the safety and well being of all Franklin and Longfellow students. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
- Cupcakes and other food items are not permitted in celebrations of birthdays. This is a district policy, which speaks to so many food allergies. In addition, please do not distribute birthday party invitations in the classroom unless every child is invited. This year the classroom teacher will have ways for students to celebrate their special day.
Landrus E. Lewis, Sr.
Principal of Longfellow Elementary School